Solution vs Story Goal

@Audz… welcome to the first wave of total confusion that comes with learning Dramatica!

MC Change is definitely associated with adopting the IC’s way and adopting their MC Solution element. This is what Change means, and what distinguishes it from Growth.

Also, yes, the language is confusing.

Judgment and Resolve are not linked meaning that the storyform doesn’t demand that one affects the other, but in your story and because of your choices, they will of course be linked.

1 Like

Oh, we’re WELL past the first wave, trust me!

I mean, if that’s what the term means, then that’s what it means.

For my story, I’ll just have to use some of the more creative gists for perception and actuality to align with my conception of how the MC is changing. I could easily frame her change as being “coming to see the central issue from the IC’s PERSPECTIVE” rather than “accepting the ACTUALITY of their shared situation (as correctly identified by the IC all along).” And if that’s what I have to do, I’ll gladly comply!

Talk about a perception vs actuality problem! :wink:

The first wave lasts five years. :tired_face:

Well okay, if that’s how you see it!

But just to double check my comprehension of what you’re saying, what about a story with an MC who changes where the story outcome is Failure and the Judgement is Bad-- this character would still have employed the solution element in their own throughline?

Yes. The MC changes and it does not solve their personal angst. Judgment = Bad.

Their change is not associated with the outcome of Failure (except in the story illustrating and storyweaving).

The real tie of the MC to the OS is through the Unique Ability, btw.

Also, the first wave isn’t really 5 years.

1 Like