Story Assembly -- Putting it all to work

Should we start an account with Evernote? I never heard of it.

Maybe we could change it to Empire Animation Studios or Dixar Animation Studios so as not to have any preconceived notions. I was thinking a madcap comedy genre ala Bringing Up Baby and I was thinking of a new animation artist named Jim :wink: afraid of heights. I’m even working on a company motto. but I will wait my turn.

Yah, I was just reading that Max Fleischer Studios started Superman and Popeye. Now, how are we not to have preconceptions! LOL Be sure to do bells and whistles when it is my turn. I, really, don’t know what is going on.

Do you have to make an Evernote account to see the link I posted? You shouldn’t have to.

I like Fleschier studios and screwball comedy. Please don’t name the MC Jim lol.

And Key I think it’s better to not have the original terms if we can in the beginning. I’ve always found it easier to do it that way.

I’m certainly open to changing some names to protect both innocent and guilty. But I don’t think all of Fleischer’s creations are still protected by copyright, so it could be a lot of fun to overlay the themes in Fleischer’s fiction with the themes in his actual life.

However, more important than that discussion, I believe, is to follow Jim Hull’s leading on committing to a “setting and genre” (that’s typical Story Embroidery protocol).

So for now I’m not addressing the question of how fictional or based-on-real-people our story should be; I’m just seconding the location of 1930s New York, in the newly emerging animation business, in a genre that ends with an OS Outcome of Success and an MC Story Judgment of Good (so more than likely comedy, romance, or drama, with or without elements of action or thriller, but probably not much horror, if any).

There is info about the public domain and the cartoons in general at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fleischer_Studios

Prish

I saw it ok. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to join Evernote for their perks, whatever they are.

Jim, thank you for volunteering to be keeper of the notes. And you should DEFINITELY add your name. I am delighted you want to play! And I can’t imagine a reason on earth to keep you from the fray.

I am content with the 1930s NY setting idea. And now that I’ve looked at the storyform, I understand where all the animation talk is coming from. Utterly charming. There were a couple of things that suggested Romantic Comedy to me. Is everyone good with that for Genre?

I think everyone should have the to power to strip back their gist to its base and remake it if they have a better idea of how to illustrate that particular storypoint with in the context of THIS story.

I’m torn on one other point–I really LIKE @SPotter 's idea of giving each other feedback on our storypoints and finding the strongest choice that we can come up with collectively BUT on the other hand I don’t want anyone to feel uncreative or like they are getting bashed every time their turn comes up. I know my muse plays on both sides of this fence, sometimes it feeds of the ideas of other and plays very nicely and sometimes it’ll go pout in a corner 'cause “why the hell didn’t I think of that brilliant idea that xyz just threw out.” And on a third hand (yeah I’m a mutant, what of it?) I also learn how to make new connections when I see someone else make them. Does anyone else have thoughts or feelings on this?

1 Like

I think it will be less contentious than you think. For the most part people won’t jump on others, as long as they stick to the story point and don’t veer too far off. In addition, the point of this exercise is to learn how to use Dramatica to help write a story…and in this case, using the new Gists feature to help make the process easier, so if someone is off in an illustration it is important to correct it and explain why.

I will say one thing though, this:

is a bad idea. The harder you have to stretch to illustrate the gist the better it is for your creative muscle. Having done this kind of thing over and over again (and having written about the process here) I can tell you that you’ll find the most original material when you step outside of your preconceived notions.

For better results we shouldn’t have even looked at the storyform yet before choosing genre and setting. Everyone will naturally start making connections between things. Sam Potter’s idea of it being on the 101st floor is an attempt, I think, to connect MC and OS. But this story could have just as well been about artists on the frontline during World War I and a Main Character forced into a position as a Forward Balloon Observer OR it could have just as easily been about a theater troupe tasked with drawing out enthusiastic responses from an overly critical crowd and a Main Character with a love for stage lighting, but a deathly fear of the rafters.

The fun part happens when we each just do one little bit. When someone starts making huge connections between different throughlines and genre and setting, it makes the story more theirs and less ours. It also tends to narrow down the range of dramatic potential and originality that can come from this kind of exercise.

That said, let’s do the Fleschier studio circa 1930s, Romantic Comedy…

Here are the players:

• Gervasio Flavio
  • Shaina Yakov
  • Itai Furaha
  • Sebastian Olivia
  • Olga Ira
  • Barclay Lynton
  • Adolfo Jaden
  • Marybeth Shmuel

@jassnip you’re up first…you can:

1. illustrate a storypoint
  2. assign a character to an Archetype (protagonist, antagonist, etc.)
  3. assign a character to Main or Influence

Please don’t do more than one! And away we go…!

2 Likes

Cool. I would like to cast MaryBeth Shmuel as protagonist.

Here’s a pic of the woman I have pictured as MaryBeth…Sylvia Sidney

She is a sketch artist on Coney Island with hopes for better opportunities for her artwork.

Excellent! @Prish you’re up next…

Guilty as charged. :-). I can’t remember, when we assign a character can we also assign them an occupation and age?

working on it @SPotter

1 Like

Awesome. MaryBeth is beautiful . And what a great idea adding another dimension like this.

Barclay Lynton as the contagonist

Now, if I am supposed to come up with what he is doing, how about the following? If someone else is supposed to do it, scratch it.

(he wants to be a director in Hollywood and is using this job as a stepping stone from his artistic job working with scenery on Broadway)

Sebastian Olivia as the Impact Character.

I’m thinking that perhaps he is a character MaryBeth has created, her idea of the perfect man.

1 Like

Itai Furaha is the Antagonist.
(He looks a lot like William Powell)

1 Like

Can we use this pic of Gary Cooper for Sebastian Olivia?

1 Like

I’ll add: any of The 70’s Show male leads, for Barclay Lynton’s looks. If we need a 1930’s image, Don Ameche. My husband stills refers to his McCloud episode guest stint, “Suddenly, I don’t know you!” with a belly laugh. As an actor, he gave lots of layers to his personalities. Then, again, William Powell has a mustache. Maybe Jimmy Stewart would fit?

Great suggestion. I took a look at Jim’s PDF and thought Dramatically for Windows is such a very different animal from the latest release that it would be difficult to follow what is being presented.