Story Assembly -- Putting it all to work

I know at the end of the year everyone has an opportunity to participate in a story construction; and while the analyses are good and useful, they don’t really help me learn how to use the software better for creating. So I’m wondering if anyone is interested in doing a story construction to better get a handle on creating with dramatica. We could work on one over a month (or whatever time frame decided by those working on it). I don’t have a lot of concretes about how I think it should work, but I know I would find it helpful.

Anyone else interested?

1 Like

I, always, like to practice. I’m on board.

I’d be interested in that, too!

I’m interested. Count me in.

Sure! I’ll contribute as much as I am able…

I’m up for anything to help me learn to use the software better.

Woot. Way cool. Okay, so maybe here is a good place to bandy about how we’d like to do this? Do we want to start with a random storyform? Tweak one? Create one together? Round-robin things? Everyone bring ideas to the table and a vote? Each person work a storyform of their own and we all work on brainstorming with each person? There are so many ways we can approach this. I’m the instigator here, but not the leader…I don’t have enough experience to guide a project like this. All of us together though? That’s inspiring.

Ideas please?

Great idea! Random storyform always works well. I would suggest using the Gists as well, but just a suggestion.

I don’t know what that answer means. I don’t know what a Gist is. It’s not in Dramatica Pro for windows nor the online Dictionary. I know what a gist is, of course, but not Dramatica’s use of the term. I’m one of those ANXIOUSLY awaiting DSE for Windows…

Oh, that’s the new feature in Dramatica Story Expert. SO much easier to write stories with Dramatica using it. If you want I could do that random storyform for you using the Gists, print it out and upload it here (or someone else who has DSE for Mac can). You might learn more with it…

Sounds good! I need all the help I can get.

Sounds good, Jim. One request, I’m in a mind state where an up ending would be preferable. Aside from that, wee here we go!

You must have read my work! (I prefer the downer lol). I’ll lock in Success/Good – any others?

Maybe, we could do all your suggestions, eventually? Why just one?

As to “locking in Success/Good,” I’m “up” for the that!

At the same time, could we AVOID some of the most-common group-storyforming choices, like an OS Goal of Obtaining or Doing?

In other words, can we AVOID a storyform where either of those two is among the storyform’s Concerns? Just to push us toward a storyform that’s a bit less “obvious” in its Goal, and less commonplace than the typical Hollywood “get the girl” or “get the treasure” default?

Hey, how about “locking in” either Understanding or Gathering Information as a story Concern/Goal?!?

I have no objection to that Key. Sounds like a challenge. I love me a challenge. :smile:

That would definitely be fun, Prish. I would like to do this more than once. We’ll see how this one goes and then make a plan for the next one to spring into being in one of the other ways. Sound good?

Chris said, once, at a weekend workshop that obtaining was the usual Western goal. I took it to mean that is what sells and is produced into film. Maybe, we could do two storyforms, one with an obtaining goal, and the same thing with a different goal. That way, we could get practice in the non-ordinary choices and let something flow, naturally, at the same time. Whatever everyone wants to do is fine with me, though. just thoughts, here, Prish

Actually, Prish, what I’ve heard Chris say on more than one occasion (I’ve done the Users Groups regularly for a decade) is that Obtaining is “one of the more-common Goals in Western cinema” – but certainly not the ONLY (nor the most thought-provoking) one.

Fact is, if you use the Dramatica.com/Analysis/Filter function, you can select OS Concern and pick from among the 16 available ones. And picking OS Concern: Understanding or OS Concern: Learning will show you the posters for SEVERAL terrific stories that Hollywood, the critics, and the audiences have LOVED.

Not to mention all those stories with the OS Goal falling in either the Situation, Psychology, or Fixed Attitude Concerns!

Basically, I’m just hoping our first Discuss Dramatica storyform will be one that helps us think of great story ideas that are NOT like most of the spec scripts that flood into Hollywood every year. As Dramaticians, we shouldn’t follow the norm, but be exceptional(ly interesting)!

2 Likes

I’m all for working toward the exceptional interesting! We are lucky to have you experts on board. Thanks for guiding us.