Storyforming a series and its parts

Wondering if anyone has ever analyzed a series and its parts, be it seasons of a show or movie sequels or book sequels. I want to use Dramatica more for planning book series, but not sure the best way to approach it. I know @jhull has talked about planning out Tangled with a series storyform and additional storyforms for each season.

Where/how does the series storyform play out? Is it sprinkled into each book/movie or does it usually make up the majority of the final book/movie/season?

The original Star Wars trilogy seems like the classic go-to, but I’ve never seen any analysis of ESB or RoJ or the series as a whole. I may try to tackle it, but thought I’d check to see if anyone has gone down this rabbit hole before. Thanks!

Seems like I read an article by Melanie recently (although the article itself may have been old) that spoke to this a little. Seems like it mentioned that A New Hope was a GAS while the others were tales. I also think it said the original Matrix was a GAS while the sequels were tales and that each LOrd of the Rings movie was a tale but an overall GAS which would make sense as I don’t think the authors original intent (for the books) was to write three separate books, but one super long book. That article might have some helpful advice. I’ll see if I can find it again and link to it.
(EDIT: Here it is: Writing Trilogies)

I don’t know if anybody’s done it yet, but I’d be glad to do it for a series if you’d like! Let me gush about a couple series that I can give a decent analysis of.

Avatar is about a young boy named Aang, the reincarnation of a powerful historical figure called the “Avatar.” This is a world where powerful martial artists called “benders” can manipulate the elements; only the Avatar can bend all four of them: water, earth, fire, and air. When the previous Avatar mysteriously disappeared, the Fire Nation began a hundred-year-long war to conquer the other three tribes: the Air Nomads, the Water Tribes, and the Earth Kingdom. With the Fire Nation on the cusp of total domination, Aang must learn how to bend all four Elements, then use the powerful Avatar State to defeat the Fire Lord and bring balance to the world.

Individual episodes are about some mini-adventure the characters come upon in their quest. For example, in the episode “Imprisoned,” Aang’s Guardian, Katara, inspires an imprisoned town of Earthbenders to defeat their Fire Nation captors. If I had to roughly guess the Storyform, it’d be something like: Steadfast, Start, Be-er, Linear; Decision, Optionlock, Success, Good; Situation, Progress, Fantasy, Unending. (I only vaguely remember this episode, so don’t take this as gospel.) But this episode does a couple of things for the global arc: 1) it emphasizes Katara’s role as the Guardian and shows the audience her ability to Help and empower others; 2) it parallels Aang’s growth as a leader and spiritual guru; 3) it’s a small chip in the Fire Nation’s power–a ghost of its eventual defeat.

The global arc, as I’ve said, is about Aang mastering all four elements and defeating the Fire Lord. But it’s also about the nature of violence, the willingness to do whatever is necessary to achieve victory, and the release of personal desires for higher causes. The ending, however, has Aang refuse to kill the Fire Lord, instead incapacitating him. Thus, Aang does not actually change from his ideal of non-violence; he remains Steadfast. I think his Influence Character, then, is Zuko, the exiled prince, whose redemption arc is a major component of the story. Zuko learns the magic of friendship and discovers the true nature of honor, which goes beyond petty notions of revenge or earning his father’s love.

Again, spitballing a storyform, but let’s call it something like: Steadfast, Start, Be-er, Holistic; Action, Optionlock; Progress, Threat, Expectation.

There She Is!:
There She Is! is a beautiful series of animated music videos about a cat boy and bunny girl that fall in love despite cultural prejudices. Each individual video has its own mini-arc, but they all fit into the global arc of cultivating true love, no matter what society says.

Let me do the global arc first this time. Change, Stop, Be-er, Linear; Decision, Optionlock, Success, Good; Manipulation, Conceiving, Permission, Non-acceptance.

Now, each individual episode:
Step 1: There She Is!
Premise: Nabi attempts to avoid Doki’s amorous gestures.
Change, Stop, Do-er, Linear; Decision, Optionlock, Failure, Good; Activity, Doing, Wisdom, Hunch

Step 2: Cake Dance
Premise: Nabi must deliver a cake safely to Doki’s birthday party.
Tale. (I do love this song, though. :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

Step 3: Doki and Nabi
Premise: Nabi struggles to have a good time on his first date with Doki, due to their vastly different personalities.
Change, Start, Be-er, Holistic; Action, Timelock, Success, Good; Situation, Present, Repulsion, Reduction

Step 4: Paradise and Step 5: Imagine
Premise: As tensions flare between the two sides supporting and condemning Doki and Nabi’s love, Nabi must protect the one he loves or risk losing her forever.
Change, Stop, Do-er, Holistic; Decision, Optionlock?, Success, Good; Situation, Progress, Threat, Expectation.

Again, I’ve come up with all of these on the fly, so don’t take them as definitely correct. By all means, please watch those videos and let me know what your analysis would be!

@ There She Is!
I think it’s interesting that none of your suggestions have Mind/Fixed Attitude as the OS Domain, even though what everyone thinks clearly seems to be the main cause of everyone’s problems, not so much how they think or what they do. And Doki and Nabi being different species would easily suggest a Situation/Universe SS Domain.
Neither Doki nor Nabi have throughlines distinct enough from the others in my opinion. There simply isn’t enough time for that.

…Hmm. You might be right on that one. I was just really impressed that picking “Non-acceptance” under Psychology gives you “Permission,” which just seems right for the story. It’s all about what society says cats and bunnies can’t do together. I’d have to think about it.

I see where you’re coming from, but ultimately, if I were to guess what the author’s intent was, it would more likely fall under the Fixed Attitude umbrella. I don’t know if there is really enough to go much deeper than the concerns with these short clips.