Symptom of Result

The principle symptom of the problem is the product of a process. That’s really super vague. What does it mean?

I think you made a typo in the question title – you mean Result, not Response, right? Let me know if you can’t edit the title, as I can.

For Result, don’t worry so much about the “product of a process” definition if that sounds undecipherable. It’s more like a focus on the “end result” of something, whatever that may be. Stuff like:

• test results, like getting a bad result on a medical test, or getting an inconclusive result
  • getting failing marks on your report card. You can see how this would work for a Symptom – the parents would focus on the kid’s bad grades (a result) while the kid would be upset that all his parents care about is that result, like they’re so focused on the grade and not on him.
  • things like repercussions, consequences, aftermath. A “big picture” view of the results of something.
    • Example: a character who focuses on the end results of something being the opposite of what was intended. Like the war on drugs creating more drug violence and poverty.
  • think of a manager in an office who’s always “looking for results” or “results-oriented”. This would work like the bad grades example, with the manager focusing only on the results like sales numbers or whatever, and the employees thinking he’s too focused on that.

You can also apply verbs to any of the above to get some cool gists. Hating results, loving results, wanting results, looking at the aftermath, figuring out what the consequence will be, etc.

I probably missed some really good stuff as I don’t think I’ve used Result much in any of my own writing, but hopefully that gives you a feel for it.

4 Likes