The Dilemma of character setting in dramatica

Dramatica has eight archetypal characters, but implements two sets of standards. The PROTAGONIST, ANTAGONIST, GUARDIAN and CONTAGONIST are classified according to the character’s function in the event. REASON, EMOTION, SIDEKICK and SKEPTIC are classified according to the character’s attitude to events. This leads to the overlapping of the two types of characters. This is contrary to the logical principle of classification, now I can only build four functional characters, and then stack attitude on them. It is basically difficult to come up with eight typical dramatica archetypal characters.
The eight archetypes in the Dramatica book about Star Wars are personally considered stiff.

The above is only my personal confusion, I hope the expert’s correction.

Think pure colors for all eight points, eight colors. It is usual for some mixing to occur in a final painting. The fun way to start story forming for me is to start with the character option.

1 Like

Do you have a story with a problem and a conflict which raises a question?

Think of the archetypes as functions as part of a single human mind which tries to solve a problem (answers the question). Don’t think of the characters as individual persons.

Here is an example:

Story: A young shy girl can get a ticket to go to a summer camp in Paris. The only thing she needs to do is, to recite a poem in front of the school (around 400 people). She is totally terrified and considers her options what to do:

Question every objective character might ask in the story:
How to speak in front of a large group of people and how comfortable are you?

• Protagonist (consider) I will do it, even I am scared to hell.
  • Antagonist (avoidance) Don’t do it, look for some other options, that’s nothing for you
  • Reason (control) Focus on what you are going to say and imagine there are only a few friends listening
  • Emotion (uncontrolled) Oh, crazy, you couldn’t do it, but you should, I love Paris, I have never been there
  • Skeptic (oppose) Why poems? Why do you need something to do to get ticket?
  • Sidekick (support) Do it, that’s an amazing opportunity, I will be in the crowded and support you
  • Guardian (help) Of course, you can do it, I take a week off and you we rehearse it together
  • Contagonist (temptation) Take some soothing pills and you will be fine
3 Likes

The theory book is out of date in some areas, including how it presents the archetypes. Sidekicks don’t have to support everything and Contagonists don’t need to hinder everyone. Objective character elements only need to be in relation to the Story Goal.

You may want to check out this article on Narrative First: Tying Objective Characters to the Goal

3 Likes