The long awaited Incredibles 2

Anyone seeing Incredibles 2 this weekend? I’ve already got my tickets for Saturday and I’m pretty sure I’ll be itching to toss it under the Dramatica lens as soon as it’s over.

(BEWARE! Here there be spoilers!)

thanks for reminding me! Me and Elastigirl 4ever. Soooo much cooler than her workaholic husband.

1 Like

Taking two of mine to see it tomorrow :grin:

1 Like

I went and saw it this afternoon! It was quite good, though, like one reviewer I watch said, it doesn’t match the (admittedly high) level of quality of the first one. Would love to talk about it soon, though! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Maybe it’s just that I’m still riding the high of having seen a new Incredibles movie, but I thought that Incredibles 2 was…dare I say it?..too incredible! :rofl: Right now I probably would put it up there with the first one, though that feeling may wear off. We’ll see.

I haven’t done any sort of analysis yet. I’ve got a ton of questions ready, though. I won’t get too far into it until others have had a chance to see it. But would you say Bob is MC and Helen IC again?

I would definitely agree with that. We see more of Helen’s quest (since I’d say she’s Protagonist this time around), but it’s Bob’s personal struggles we get more of.

Where is my super suit.

WHERE’S. MY. SUPER. SUIT?

1 Like

I hope this isn’t getting too much into spoiler territory, but this was one of my questions. Who is the protagonist? I didnt think it was Bob or Helen.

Assuming the lowercase-g goal of the story is “restore the reputation of superheroes,” if Helen ain’t your Protag, then it would be Mr. Corporate what’s-his-face who instigates the whole thing.

EDIT: Yeah, Winston. I’m terrible with character names. :sweat:

Usually I prefer to watch something a couple of times before I get into analysis, but I would say Winston.

I was kind of thinking Winston, too. I don’t know, though.

Or “make superheroes legal again”

1 Like

Or to put it another way, MSLA

Just saw this yesterday. Loved it, actually surprised by how great it was (sequels are never this good!)

Not sure how much time I’ll have but I would participate in analysis (sounds like you’ve got a good start…).

1 Like

What would you guys say the domains are about? . And how do the domains align?
Or do we need to start with resolve and problem solving style and such?

What order does the user group usually use? I forget.

I am wavering on which character is steadfast vs. change. I am thinking though that Bob is steadfast and Helen is change – she is the one who goes from being protective of the kids and insisting that the old superhero life is gone to accepting the family’s superhero role.

Bob is a Linear-Do-er I think.

Throughlines:

Everyone is manipulating everyone else. I agree that Winston is the Protagonist. His goal is to convince the public to make supers legal again by “putting a good face” on the supers. “Screenslaver” is trying to manipulate the public by manipulating the supers with the hypnosis device. (I guess we should put a spoiler warning in here somewhere?).

MC: “Bob” - Universe

He, really, really wants to be out fighting crime – the new face of the supers – but he’s stuck at home taking care of the kids.

IC: “Helen” - Mind

Helen has to get out of her limiting mindset in order to take on her new job.

RS: “Raising superkids” - Physics

The activity of raising the children is at the heart of their relationship.

What do you think?

1 Like

Added to the first post.

This is what I’m interested in. I couldn’t see if the MC or IC changed. Pretty sure I saw a change in Violet, though.

I’m seeing this different. Some people are being mind controlled, but I would think that would be a Mind problem. Winston is trying to put a good face on the supers again, but is this what is causing him problems? This feels more like a reaction to the problem to me. Although I’m super (super! haha) unsure about most of the story form, the OS story problem really seemed to start when supers were made illegal. If it weren’t for that law, Winston’s parents might have been saved. The Deavors are unable to agree whether the world is better with the heroes or without them, and it all seems to come down to that law. The Parrs have to be normal people with normal jobs because of that law.

Do you agree, or am I off base?

Hmm. Wouldn’t mind control be Psychology (Manipulation)? Look at some of the Psychology gists: “Coercing Others”, “Getting Others to Do What You Want”, “Brainwashing a Particular Group”.

I did have the idea that “prejudice against supers” is could be an argument for Mind. But wasn’t that also true in the last movie (which ended up have and OS of Psychology)?

As presented, isn’t the real problem in both movies that supers are forced to hide and pretend to be something they’re not – to the point where the government is going around erasing people’s memories of seeing them? This all seems like Psychology to me.

I think that’s backstory. He may have been harboring those feelings for many years, but what upsets the balance and makes a “settled” issue live again? I think the inequity of this story starts when the Incredibles wreck half the town trying to stop the Underminer. This a) makes supers public again and b) leads to the super relocations guy (Rick Dicker) saying he can no longer help them. This in turn gives Winston an opportunity to offer them a better deal, put them up in his spare house and make Helen an offer she can’t refuse.

1 Like

I dont think this one is about prejudice against heroes. I’m saying it’s about the law on the books.[quote=“Lakis, post:18, topic:1857”]
As presented, isn’t the real problem in both movies that supers are forced to hide and pretend to be something they’re not
[/quote]

Maybe. I could see that being the case. But this one felt less like they were fighting against what others thought and more like they were fighting to change the law. Showing people that the heroes could be helpful was a step toward changing the law.

It probably is back story, but I should have added Winstons parents dying to that. That’s part of why the law is a problem for Winston. He says that’s why his parents died.

I didn’t think it played out like people wanting the heroes to stay hidden. Felt to me like the problem was that they took action because its against the law. They shouldn’t have taken action, they say, because those buildings were insured (not sure if they addressed the lives saved, can’t remember). And they aren’t concerned about the Underminer at all. All they care about is that they broke the law. (EDIT: I guess they care that they broke the law because of the damage done to the city, but that would seem more like a Physics problem than a Psych problem. It’s the same argument from CA:CW: heroes do damage to the city while fighting villains who are…trying to do damage to the city. I still don’t get that one.)

For a more holistic view, I’ll toss out the rest of the Domains as I saw them and see if you point me in another direction on the rest of them.

MC - Bob
I didn’t see him being stuck watching the kids as being what kept him from being able to fight so much as his “big problems need big solutions” attitude (…er, way of thinking?). Winston didn’t want to test the “let insurance cover it” approach out of the gate, so he asked Helen to help him instead of Bob.

IC - Helen
She is the one tasked with performing heroic acts, stopping crime, saving the train, catching Screenslaver, etc. The others eventually join her toward the end, but for most of the movie she is the one with all of the action scenes.

RS - Who should work?
The relationship has ups and downs around who should get a job, which one would be the better hero, whether Bob is capable of watching the kids.

2 Likes

So what domain is a goal of changing a law? Edit - I guess I mean Concern as that’s where the goal is. But maybe we should go back to Domains. If you’re saying the OS is in Mind, what examples do you have of that?