The Truman Show

Surely this must have a story form. Has this been analyzed? I couldn’t find it in the usual spots.

If not, I’m wondering if the Influence character is the whole town or more the director. Sylvia also had an effect on him, though she wasn’t in the movie for long, so I wasn’t sure if she was more OS.

I was thinking that the OS is about keeping the show going (preventing Truman from getting freedom or acting unstable?) and the MC is about… his fear of water? He gets over that halfway through and I think his disruptive attempts to get to Fiji is of concern to everyone. Maybe his problem is something about unfulfilled desires. I can’t say for sure since if he wasn’t in this movie, not trapped in a dome, he’d be able to go and fulfill his desire to explore, so how is that something he could “take into any story,” as the MC’s problems are often described as?

There was a brief write-up on Truman Show on this site before the redesign. It’s missing now, but IIRC the outlook wasn’t bright (from a GAS perspective).

@chuntley, do you recall who wrote that piece?

Nevermind, I found it!

http://dramatica.com/articles/the-truman-show-wag-the-dog

May or may not be definitive.

1 Like