Wonder Woman Movie Problem Solving Style

I was watching a Youtube video speculating on whether the upcoming movie Wonder Woman would garner what’s been predicted for box office opening weekend. My guess is that Diana is written like a man, which actually contrasts with some characterization of her in the 1970s/80s tv series. This provoked me to think about male and female problem solving style. The main character in Alien was originally a man, but was cast with an actress.

Could you construct Diana Prince as a holistic problem solver, and yet have guys follow her along? As I understand Dramatica, this would result in guys following her along, but not being able to feel a connection with how she’s thinking. One benefit would be women really empathizing with her as a character. The only way, as I recall, to configure the story engine for both audiences in “Audience Reach” is to have a time lock as the limit. Movies have stuck in short lived time locks within the actual option-lock story limit.

Who knows at this point? After the controversy of Batman v. Superman and the debacle of Suicide Squad, DC really needs a good movie to save itself. Although, since some of the trailers look disturbingly colorless, my faith is not high.

Another aspect I noticed in one of the trailers that is relevant to your question is the “chosen one” dynamic I saw in one of the trailers (the one with the sword). To me, “chosen one” narratives are extremely linear, because the Main Character usually pursues their goal because “that’s what the prophecy says!” Forgive me if my knowledge of canon is off, but in Wonder Woman’s original backstory, she chose to fight in World War II because she believed Hitler was a negative energy in the world that needed to be overcome. That sounds more Holistic to me.

As to your question, I’d be curious to see if it worked. Generally speaking, men don’t empathize with Holistic thinkers as much as women do, but the story can still be interesting to them, if not as emotionally bound. I’m curious if anybody else knows of any Holistic MCs that managed to resonate with male viewers. I mean, the OS can still be tense and exciting, Linear MC or no.

AP Speculation Time! Perhaps in stories with Holistic MCs, male audience members will be drawn to empathize more personally with the Linear Influence Character. Steve Trevor is being played by the charismatic Chris Pine, so… maybe? I mean, as Main Character, Diana will always have our eyes and heart, but maybe Steve Trevor’s position will feel more reasonable, or we’ll laugh more at his jokes. I wonder if male viewers will feel like Linear ICs “steal the show” or “are the real main character.” (<–“main character” in lower case there)

I believe it’s the opposite – both audiences can empathize with option locks. Time locks are harder for women to invest in, while Holistic style is harder for men to follow.

So a Linear / Option-lock story has fewer obstacles in reaching a wider audience.

Personally, speaking as a guy, I find time locks to be ho-hum… boring.