Blogging about Dramatica

Hello everyone :slight_smile:

I have a question that would be more of a legal thing than anything. Some of you may know but I’m actually French and this summer I plan to create a mainly writing-focused blog. I realized that most french blogs dealing with writing (and there aren’t as many as in english, it truly is a niche) focus on the three-acts-structure or the Heroe’s Journey, and it’s driving me nuts haha.

So I would like to write about Dramatica. Thing is, Dramatica is copywrited material (“© Copyright 1994-2018 Write Brothers, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Based on theories and materials developed by Melanie Anne Phillips and Chris Huntley. Dramatica is a registered trademark of Screenplay Systems Incorporated.”) So am I even allowed to write about it at all and explain its content on a blog (à la Narrative First) ? Futhermore, let’s say I want to sell an e-book about how I personally use Dramatica for my stories (à la Dramatica for Screenwriters). Would that be possible or would I run into troubles ?

Thanks a lot !

3 Likes

I am not a lawyer, and cannot give true legal council.

Since ideas are not supposed to be copyrightable, I’m fairly certain the blog on writing would be fine. However, any translations or reprints of any of the official materials would need permission from Write Brothers, Inc. Finally, I have no clue what legalities would surround the e-book, so I won’t touch that one.

I actually would like to hear an answer to this question from @chuntley to this question, though, for both posterity and assurance of what is allowed.

1 Like
3 Likes

This book, actually, started as a series of examples how to use Dramatica, as things came up in an on-going email discussion list, which lasted many years…similar to this discuss format we’re chatting on, now. Just like in a college graphics art class, forcing oneself to jump in and share thoughts, might be a way to begin. Armando used Dramatica in his ‘job’ writing and would pop in and share his latest realization and breakthrough, at times. He would help people on the list figure out how to use an aspect of the theory, with colorful spun-on-the-spot scenarios, etc.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your answers !

Absolutely correct, but expression is copyrightable. If you’re quoting material, that should be sourced. If you’re going to copy large sections of text, that likely requires permission. Dramatica® is a registered trademark, so a trademark registration notice is appropriate, e.g. “Dramatica is a registered trademark of Write Brothers Inc.”

1 Like