Curious George: A Very Monkey Christmas

The kids have gotten around to putting it on again. If still interested in talking about it, what domains are you seeing George and the Man in the Yellow Hat (MITYH from here on out) in?

I’d say the OS was maybe something about preparing for Christmas (The whole town sings “Are you ready for Christmas Day to come?” within the first couple of minutes. I forget the kids name, but that one kid is selling Christmas trees that get knocked down, the other kid is trying to write a Christmas song).

MITYH is trying to figure out what George’s list means. He feels like he should know because he’s supposed to know George better than anyone and being unable to figure it out is causing him problems.

George is trying to figure out the perfect gift for MITYH. The story plays like George doesn’t know what to get him, but he actually has several ideas. He is either unable to create the gift (because he’s a monkey and doesn’t understand how things work) or they end up being things that MITYH doesn’t really want in the apartment (the snow shaker thing). BUT I don’t know that those things have anything to do with his influence on MITYH. I’m thinking that’s maybe part of the “preparing for Christmas” throughline. George’s influence comes from…being MITYH’s pet, or best friend? Hard to say, really.

I don’t really see anything pushing or pulling the relationship. They’re best friends and nothing really gets in the way of that that I could tell. If there’s any relationship, it seems to be in the scene where George is showing MITYH all the pictures he drew of their memories from throughout the story.

The best I can make out, it’s a series of OS tales strung together by MITYH’s tale running throughout. MITYH isn’t even influenced to change or remain steadfast. He just kind of stumbles around until he finds the answer in a dream.

Hey, Merry Christmas.

I think my time has come and gone to watch this Christmas movie. I’m trying to steer my house towards Die Hard but I have a feeling that The Muppets Christmas Carol may have won the vote. (At which point, I will unleash the tragic news this story is not permitted in my best Scrooge voice. Mwa-ha-ha.)

But, from memory, I would say that this movie is not really trying to tell a GAS. It’s interested in capturing the struggle we all face at Christmas – especially kids – of not knowing what to get each other. They do this in two ways (no idea, no list).

The MITYH seems tied to Situation, since “It’s all about time” but I don’t know if it really is.

FWIW, [quote=“Gregolas, post:1, topic:1392”]
They’re best friends and nothing really gets in the way of that that I could tell.
[/quote]

I found Kramer vs Kramer to be like this. The dad and kid have a positive relationship that gets better the whole time.

3 Likes

Frequency is little like this too. There’s no conflict between them; the conflict stems from their longing for the father/son relationship they never got to have.

1 Like

Kramer vs Kramer actually has a completely positive relationship, which I think would parallel a Steadfast kind of thinking: and the RS Problem element actually improves the two of them together.

I think it’s Help, and as time passes, we see them helping each other with nary a drop of tension between them.

2 Likes