While watching the news tonight my mind was going back and forth. I was wondering how Dramatica can be used to asses the current situation. The news are all about the Corona Crisis and everyones future.
So, I read the article from Jim again.
After trial and error and I couldn’t find a proper question of my story mind at work.
I tried to create a story form with some of my initial ideas…
- How does the situation look like tomorrow?
- How can we improve the situation?
- How do we experience the rapid change of the situation and what happens with us?
- How could we deal with the effects of the situation?
Or as in the article…
- How can we become masters of our own destinies?
I struggled to find the right story form. But just before I wanted to give up I saw a comic on LinkedIn.com.
So, here is my first try on how to use Dramatica to assess the Corona Crisis.
What is the advice for a small business owner who might be affected by the corona crisis?
Goal of Progress
Small-Business-Owner wants to improve their situation they are currently in because of the Corcoran crisis.
Consequences of Preconscious
If they cannot solve their problem Small-Business-Owner might be respond to problems inappropriately (?)
Problem of Theory
Small-Business-Owner lacking a plausible theory about the further develeopment of the corana crisis and the future of their business
- (Signpost 1 of Present) Everyone is being threatened by the corona crisis and must cope with the measures which are put in place. The situation gets even worse when even whole countries are locked-down and people are put on house arrest.
- (Signpost 2 of Past) Everyone, now sitting at home, is trying to find a plausible explanation for the situation. But it doesn’t help any further to change their destiny.
- (Signpost 3 of Future) As there is no plausible explanation how the situation might be develop everyone is expecting the worst and focuses on coming to a conclusion.
- (Signpost 4 of Progress) The situation starts finally slowly to improve as someone (the Main Character) starts having a clue and starting innovating.
Main Character Story
A Small-Business-Owner who just started his business as an advisor is supposing how it looks for him end of the month. But trying to find explanations doesn’t help him. He needs to innovate if he wants to help himself.
Influence Character Story (the guy in the comic)
Gary thinks (Psychology) … Your small business is in trouble unfortunately, but innovation could potentially help (Being, Knowledge)
- (Signpost 1 of Conceptualizing) Gary puts safety and family first an over everything else
- (Signpost 2 of Being) Gary recommends being grateful for you and people you love are healthy
- (Signpost 3 of Conceiving) Gary is patient and beliefs you just going to have two wait this out
- (Signpost 4 of Becoming) Gary lets you start something finally new, be it a mobile infrastructure for your business or organising online events instead of live events
A Small-Business-Owner and Gary the Artist being concerned about their future and arguing about what might be expected four weeks down the road.
Argument (Solution for the Problem of the Storymnind)
Give up formulating an explanation of something and try being innovative and you can improve your situation
I am living in Switzerland and it looks like we reaching the peak of the corona crisis soon. Tomorrow we expect new measures - house arrest.
All the best for you. Let’s trust our creative instinct.
storyform.pdf (50.7 KB)