My problem with a sequel revealed... (Another Dramatica Love Story)

Wasn’t sure how to categorize this, but I wanted to share something. Another “Dramatica Love Story” post.

I watched a sequel of a movie with my brother some time ago, and when the movie ended, I felt like the script back-peddled on it’s argument somewhat. I also felt like I had a fix that could have worked. So, being a good, little Dramatica student, I did my best to analyze the movie.

Here’s what happened:

The message of the movie is meant to be something like “Don’t let anything, including your written destiny, control your life.” However, the final scene has the two leads, now having never met (due to time-wimey stuff), repeat what was once their first meeting, then get together, again. To me, this comes off as saying, “You can’t fight destiny.” Worse is that this scene comes immediately after one where a character irrefutably beats their written destiny. (That character is actually a character from a movie-in-the-movie, and she manages to change the entire script of that movie-in-the-movie.)

I have no doubt in my mind that the scene between the leads exists because “the leads have to stay together at the end.” But, the scene just feels wrong and out of place. My thought to fix it, when I first saw this movie, was to have the leads remember, or at least become aware of, their alternate reality. This would make it their choice, instead of seeming like destiny. Sure, it’s cliche, but the whole movie is purposely built on cliches. Plus, it’s only the intent behind this idea that matters for the rest of this post.

So, doing my best to ignore my feelings and thoughts on the argument, I analyzed the movie as best I could, keeping in mind that Dramatica looks at the source of problems and conflict. I then tested my results against the “Narrative First”-style argument.

Start (MC Resolve: Changed, MC Growth: Start) living freely (MC Solution: Uncontrolled), and you can find what you’re looking for. (Story Goal: Obtaining).

This seemed so in tune with my original thoughts that I took it as confirmation of my analysis. Now, for the Dramatica magic: The predicted Signpost #4 of the MC Throughline was The Conscious with a final PSR variation of Enlightenment!

I see this, and I’m immediately thinking, “Dramatica read my mind! That’s exactly what I was trying to come up with! That’s what this final scene needed!” The MC should have had some kind of insight and awareness beyond what he had throughout the movie, and especially beyond what he has now, but it never happens. And with that, I fall in love with the predictive and extraordinary theory that is Dramatica, all over again.

7 Likes

I suggest looking at The Devil’s Advocate. It suffers a similar problem. The end ‘annuls’ the reason for an MC Change in order to wrap up the logic of the OS neatly.

I might take a look. Thanks.

fyi Although not a sequel, the film Angel Heart had a weird audience reception thing going on. I, always, thought there was some kind of glitch, but never could bring myself to rewatch it.