MC Focus of Ending

Could an MC Focus of Ending show up as an MC who focuses on fixing other people’s problems (i.e. on bringing their problems to an end)?

I’m trying to figure out of the storyform for a classic movie, and there are plenty of other good illustrations for the Focus of Ending in both MC and OS throughlines (it’s a Steadfast story). Including the “see it as a problem” (Symptom) type illustrations. But in the storyform I found, Ending is also the crucial element, so I need to phrase it in a way that makes sense for the premise.

I’m thinking something like: Keep focusing on fixing others’ problems, and you can get everyone to relax their class prejudices and enjoy themselves.

2 Likes

Would this be a character who sees the act of bringing problems to an end as itself the source of a problem?

1 Like

Sort of. What she sees as a problem is when people think something is “over and done with” and can’t be fixed, or can’t be changed. Also, the idea that the way things are right now (her summer friends and love affair) might come to an end, is also something she identifies as a problem.

Hmm. Maybe the Crucial Element is more like, believing that one’s (place in) life is not a foregone conclusion. That ties in really nicely to her whole throughline and the OS. And it’s something she believes strongly about both herself and others, and what makes her stand out from the rest of the cast.

Keep focusing on how your life is not a foregone conclusion, and you can get everyone to relax their class prejudices and enjoy themselves.

The hilarious thing is, there’s another gist for Ending “seeking a grand finale” that is perfect for what actually happens in the film. Although not as meaningful as above, it still fits nicely:
Keep focusing on that climactic final lift, and you can get everyone to relax their class prejudices and enjoy themselves.

Any guesses as to the movie yet? :slight_smile:
(I’m not 100% sure on the storyform so might start a new thread on it…)

1 Like

I don’t want to spoil it, so I’ll wait for the analysis to come out! (Yeah, I have no clue what movie, haha)

1 Like

It’s actually Dirty Dancing – one of my wife’s favourite movies. It’s definitely got all the throughlines, and 2 relationships representing the RS (the romance, and the father-daughter one). I put the OS in Mind, kind of like Zootopia; the Issue of Worth seems really strong, with a Problem of Expectation. MC Baby is Steadfast, with Patrick Swayze’s Johnny being the Change character.

However, I’m certainly keeping an open mind about it, ha.

1 Like

Oh excellent. I’ll have to check it out again. It’s got a great doc about the making of it on Netflix.

2 Likes

Really? My wife will love that! I’ll have to check it out. Oh yes, I see it’s the first episode of the Movies That Made Us series. Never heard of that!

I heard that the original script wasn’t very “deep” and that Swayze made a lot of changes during filming, even sometimes last minute, to make it stronger. So it’s possible the story might be missing a few beats somewhere, but overall it felt complete.

2 Likes

The Home Alone one right after it is even better.

1 Like