Dirty Rotten Scoundrels

Any ideas on this storyform (assuming it has one)? It’s on amazon prime until the end of March in the US.

My first thoughts are:

MC: Lawrence Jamieson is the MC since we see his perspective when Freddy arrives, Lawrence’s reactions (to Freddy’s antics at the dinner table, etc), and we are with Lawrence when he plots with Inspector Andre.

Protagonist: Lawrence is also the protagonist since he is trying to resolve the inequity caused by Freddy’s arrival. I suspect it can’t be solely about the Janet caper because that starts about halfway into the movie.

OS goal: Get Freddy out of town. I suspect the OS is in manipulation since the capers are all about deception / playing a role. Sort of like The Sting.

Outcome: This ends in failure because Freddy is still there at the end.

Judgment: Good. Lawrence is smiling like an SOB in private with Janet & Freddy.

IC: I suppose it can only be Freddy because no one else is around throughout the whole movie. Does Janet take this over? I’m not sure how to describe their perspectives. Lawrence’s old school vs Freddy’s new school? Old guy vs younger “better looking” (as Freddy claims) competition? Teacher/student though both rivals? Sophisticated & “respectful” deception vs crude & disrespectful deception?

MC Resolve: Unsure.

Lawrence the protagonist fails, but does his perspective change? If so, it’s not obvious. He didn’t want to go too far at the beginning and he still doesn’t want to go too far when it comes to the bet (i.e. when he takes pity on Janet). That feels like it’s in the OS of deception. Perhaps he changes after Janet returns and accepts the new “take the gloves off” approach, but that is subtle if present at all. This lack of clarity makes me wonder if it’s a tale not a GAS.

It’s been a while since I’ve seen it but just from memory:

Absolutely – I can’t see how the OS would be anywhere else.

That seems possible, but I’m not sure.

Given your comparison with the Sting, is Being the most logical Concern? I think it makes a lot of sense – it’s all about conning and role playing etc.

I have this feeling that the moment when he feels bad about what Freddy did to Janet and gives her money is a change for him. But you’re right, it’s not obvious–he claims before that he only targets those who “deserve” to be conned, and this seems consistent, so I’m not sure about that either.

Janet feels like the IC in some ways, at least as a handoff.

EDIT: Additional thoughts…

If we have OS Concern of Being, and we put Lawrence in Universe, that gives us Freddy’s IC Concern as Preconscious which feels really accurate. I would also suggest that Freddy’s problem quad has something to do with Non-Accurate/Accurate. There’s a right and a wrong way to do a con, and what he’s doing is completely inappropriate.

1 Like