Genre Elements Organized By Signpost?

I’d love to get some feedback about this. As a brand-writer, I want to focus on the thriller genre.

Recently, identifying signposts has become much easier. If I interpret it correctly, signpost progression is the act of trying a problem out in various ways (e.g. Understanding, Gathering Info, etc.) until the solution appears. My genre’s movies (e.g. North By Northwest, The Net, and Coma) have clear-cut elements that I could organize according to the presented signpost order. Witnesses contacting the protagonist with leads before they mysteriously die would be in Learning. The bulk of chases might be in Doing. Losing people who could help the protagonist might be Obtaining. My first signpost of Understanding seems tricky to interpret because it’s not the final signpost. It’s funny that the final signpost is Learning, which I interpret to be that point when a witness or two gives the protagonist clues before dying.

Anyway, to those of you familiar with conspiracy thrillers, have you found those familiar genre elements bunch together into signposts?

1 Like

To that I say, how can you have a problem with getting the code word to shut down the bomb from the terrorist until you’ve understood that the broadcast was really a secret message meant to activate various splinter cells across the country?