Group online analysis of A Man For All Seasons

Is anyone interested in doing an online analysis of A Man For All Seasons (1966)? I have it recorded and could probably find time to watch in the next few days. (I think it might be available on Netflix US; it’s not in Canada though.)

Brant (@LunarDynasty) I’m thinking of you!

1 Like

I am certainly interested in an analysis for it! Watched it about a year ago and despite the late hour and the film’s calm pace I was riveted until the end. I own it on DVD and have read over the script a few times.

@Prish also enjoyed the film, she may want to contribute as well.

I’m curious if @chuntley has seen it and thinks there’s a case for a storyform. If so it could be scheduled for a User’s Group session in the future.

But there’s no reason we can’t analyze it here and now, and see what we find.

Great! I’ll watch it soon and post back here once I have. (I think it’s been around 5-7 years since I last saw it, so looking forward to it!)

Oh, good that I checked into discuss.dramatica, here. That would be fun. Let me know if it happens.

1 Like

Wow! @Prish Prish, long time no see… I’m Rod Jones from the good ol’ Dramatica Email List.

Great to see you!

I’m in for this as well, by the way!

Rod

1 Like

Awesome, I guess I better hurry up and watch it so I don’t keep everyone waiting! :slight_smile:

Rod, Prish are you guys planning on watching it again before we start the analysis? I got the impression Brant is familiar enough with it that he didn’t need to, but wasn’t sure about you guys. (I definitely need a refresher – maybe I can convince my wife to watch it with me instead of Bloodline or The Originals … but I doubt it!)

1 Like

I haven’t seen it yet, so I’m planning to watch it for the very first time. :slight_smile:

For those who aren’t aware, this film can be rented on Amazon (streaming) for $3.99

I just finished watching the film. Principally, I’m having a bit of difficulty determining who the IC might be.

I’m fairly certain we have a Driver of Action, and most certainly a Steadfast MC.

Other than these preliminaries, I will need to brood on it for a while.

We’ll definitely talk about the four perspectives once everyone’s up to speed.

1 Like

Rod, it’s so cool to see and talk dram with you, again! Looking forward to this, too.

Prish

1 Like

Maybe Henry for IC? Richie Contagonist? I guess I had better see it, again, now. I saw it on the screen when it came out, and I think it seared into my brain. How much prep time are we talking about, here, all?

Prish

@Prish. I would say, as much prep time as you need, really. We’re not on any sort of time table (Timelock) here, so everyone can contribute when they’re able, and otherwise not. No harm, no foul. :slight_smile:

We may want to get down to brass tacks sooner, rather than later, but there’s no strict deadline.

I thought of Henry as a potential candidate for IC… though they only have that one meaningful scene together. Is there a fair bit of handing off going on here, or just many places where Henry’s influence is felt by Thomas from afar? Hmm…

Edit: I’m also having trouble seeing who the change character is in this film. That would give us a big clue as to who the IC might be. Thomas clearly (in my view) is a Steadfast MC and protagonist… but who changes in the film? Or does anyone?

Prish, I was planning to watch it tonight mostly because it seemed like Rod was champing at the bit to get going! :smile: But we can certainly wait for you. (Summertime is hard for me to watch my own shows anyway: since my wife is a teacher she can stay up later in the summer, and she would rather watch Bloodline or The Originals than “a depressing movie where the main character gets executed”. :P)

I’m fine with waiting. I just had the opportunity to watch and so I did. :slight_smile:

Everyone else, proceed at your own speed. I’m always excited (or confused, lol) by some aspect of Dramatica… so the opportunity to analyze an as-yet unanalyzed film seems like a fun opportunity. But I am patient. Please don’t mistake my enthusiasm for impatience> :smiley:

Well, historically, Henry changed his marital status, his citizens’ religion, his cardinal’s mind, and increased his fortune. More’s refusal to go along with it must have brought up some legalities that only More’s change of mind or death would resolve. I wonder if Cardinal Wolsey could have represented that, since it was a magnificent performance by Orson Welles.

My original thought for IC was Cardinal Wolsey as well… and I agree about the performance. Spectacular!

He sort of played the Cardinal with a bid of devilish delight… a “man of the cloth” who didn’t even bother pretending to be holy any more…

The fact that he influenced me so much in the beginning of the film was what led me to peg him early on as the potential IC.

This film does pose some difficulties for me, as a lot of the action and political maneuvering takes place off screen.

Maybe, this is a tradeoff IC. Since Bolt wrote both the screenplay and the original play, I wonder if there would be the same storyform for both. I, also, wonder if decisions made by the director and editor could change the storyform. I don’t know if I have it in me to read it, but I am mulling it over.

I had a suspicion upfront that the IC question would be prominent! I strongly believe there’s a IC perspective in this film, though it may not be constricted to a single player.

But we’re getting ahead of ourselves. Once everyone’s watched / rewatched / reread it, the first question we should answer is:

How would you describe the Overall Story in this film? Don’t assign a throughline yet, just succinctly describe the conflict that concerns the objective characters.

I would describe the OS as “The King needs an heir,” as that seems to be what everyone is concerned with.