Holistic or Linear

A main character that likes to create long links of means-end reasoning, but is especially focused on finding the missing/weakest link in a theory. Logical (because of the means-end/cause-effect way he links things together? or Holistic (because main obsession is to take a step back and figure out where there is the missing/weakest link overall?

I actually think there’s an issue with the question. Linear vs. Holistic would address how the character attempts to find the missing link or what the missing link is.

A linear problem solver would most likely follow the chain of reasoning through the theory until they find the break. A holistic problem solver would try to look at the whole theory to find imbalances or something like that.

In other words a character who prefers cause and effect reasoning wouldn’t step back and look at the whole theory as a means to find the missing link.

5 Likes

Thank you!! Your response helped me a lot!!

I think @Etherbeard already gave a great answer, but I just wanted to add that this part

seems like a method of approaching a problem, but this part

sounds like it could be what is driving the character (MC problem of Theory).

I say this because one can have a problem solving style of creating chains of logic, or of finding balance. But if you create a chain of logic to approach one problem, and then look at that chain for a weak link, you are either a. just checking your work on your original approach of creating a logic chain, or b. approaching a new problem of having a weak link in your chain in which case you will need to approach that problem by creating another chain.

I hope that makes sense. Since I tend to like to be a sort of anti-sidekick, I really tried to find a way to say it could be Holistic problem solving, but I really just don’t think looking at your original approach can be used to determine your approach. The closest I can get then to saying it could be Holistic is to say that everyone has access to both styles and maybe this character prefers to start with a Linear approach, but then looks at the plan as a whole to see if the good parts balance out the bad.

2 Likes

Thank you Greg. You made good sense here. And yes the characters quad does have Theory element, your explanation alao helps me understand much better

2 Likes