I understand Four Throughlines like this

1. Overall Story Throughline: The problems between Protagonist and Antagonist.
  2. Main Character Throughline: MC’s internal problems, such as not knowing how to love someone else.
  3. Impact Character Throughline: MC’s third party solution to internal problems.
  4. Subjective Story Throughline: The problems between MC and IC.

In this way, Four Throughlines became the relations between the two groups, rather than a set of relationships MC and IC.
So, Antagonist importance of being reflected. Analysis of the original, more emphasis is IC. Antagonist was a certain degree of neglect.

Can understand?

I would alter this to be “MC’s unique personal problem”.
Using the word “internal” is trick here, because almost all problems can be seen as internal and external. Missing a leg? What’s the problem: your lack of a leg, or your attitude about missing a leg? This is why Dramatica focuses on Approach.

This is a good way to think about it, but there is a better way.
There are potentially a lot of third party solutions in the movie. The IC is the solution that is most different from the MC, and the most interfering. It is best interpreted from the MC’s perspective, because it does not only exist inside the IC.

Can you say this in Mandarin, and I’ll see if I can get someone to translate it for me?

1 Like

Because I am using translation software, so sometimes it will be very strange text. :grinning:

Chinese:传统故事中最主要的关系是主角(Protagonist)和对手(Antagonist),而非主要人物(MC)和影响人物(IC)。而在Dramatica理论中,更强调的是主要人物和影响人物的关系。虽然Overall Story是作为全局故事(或者说是客观故事),覆盖了故事中所有功能的原型人物,但其实对主角和对手的关系是有一定弱化的。
所以,在我自己的实践过程中,我更愿意把Overall Story强化成主角和对手的关系,与主要人物和影响人物的关系两条线并重,这样一来,就是我所说的两组关系,而非Dramatica所强化的一组关系。这样的好处(仅对我自己来说),就是在Dramatica中构建Overall Story的情节的时候,更容易与其他三个区分开来。

个人使用中的一些感受,可能是错误的,只是说出来和大家一起讨论。
非常感谢你耐心的解说,谢谢:)

1 Like

Did you just add the Mandarin? I didn’t see it before.

I showed this to a Mandarin translator, and she was not able to understand it. Sorry.

I guess Dramatica is harder than Mandarin!

Mike