Preconscious vs subconscious

Sorry, I know I’ve seen this somewhere before, but am having trouble finding it.
Is it on the right track to think of Preconscious as acting before or without thinking and Subconscious as feeling before or without thinking?
And is guilt a subconscious concern, as in ‘if I hadn’t done that, he wouldn’t have died’?

Guilt is usually memory. The fragile ego that develops from guilt is subconscious. The preconscious is overreacting to a trigger stimulus with roots in the guilt.

Conscious is just why so I feel guilty? (Or where does guilt lie lol)

3 Likes

To say thanks wouldn’t be enough…because it doesn’t get me to twenty characters. Thanks, Jim!

1 Like

your Padawan is saving this.

You see, when it comes to illustrating the storypoints, statements like this get me worried I’m not illustrating to the full extent that I can - because I’m not aware of the full extent of what a storypoint can be.

How or why is guilt Memory?

Well, because if you don’t remember having done something you are not okay with then you don’t feel guilt. Although I would say that’s not necessarily true. Some character could get blackout drunk and beat the snot out of his friend and then realize the next day what he’s done. He doesn’t remember it, but he’d still prolly feel guilty.

The question becomes can you feel guilt over something you are doing, or are going to do. I’m thinking in this case of Dom from Fast 8, does he feel guilty for “appearing” to turn on the team? Maybe but the stake of the safety of his son is a higher priority than the guilt/betrayal.

Thanks!

I can see how looking at a state deeper can help put it in the right storypoint. Though I would’ve automatically put guilt in Subconscious, I also see the placement depends on how it’s depicted which will determine the storypoint it can be illustrating.