Random ideas needed-- Understanding as first OS SP, Past MC SP

After first readers reviewed my draft, I realized that I need to tighten up my first Act. The middle of Act 1 lagged incredibly.

Physically, the MC/Pro is on a long journey. But the signposts need to be Understanding, and she can see nobody but animals and relics.

My Revelation/Conflict is
MC: Senses/Interpretation (Past)

–>I’m needing some random ideas for how she can accomplish this part of the Understanding (the Past) when she can meet nobody.

You can imagine that “understand or past” added to being alone makes for a lot of internal dialogue, misunderstanding. The Past has been a secret, so how can she be alone and suddenly understand? Please contribute some random ideas. (She’s walking through an abandoned world at this point).

My RS is alternate plot lines moving forward in other locations.

(Spin the model only gives me gists for the general SP, not for the PSR)

At the beginning of the story, during this (truncated) journey, is it Understanding in light of CONCERN or in light of ISSUE or CONSEQUENCE or any?

1 Like

What do you mean by this part? Are you referring to the Mc signpost of Past and saying she needs to Understand because the PSR appreciations are Senses/Interpretation, which are found under Understanding?

1 Like

MC-Past
OS-Understanding

Occurring near each other, connected by the journey

1 Like

The first idea that popped out at me reading this was, the character is alone on a long journey. He/she needs food, water, shelter (Need) which causes him/her to take some conflict-causing “easy way out” or “necessary action” (Expediency). This action leads the character to see, hear, smell, feel or taste something (or to lose sight/hearing etc.) which they struggle or are unable to interpret, which in turn generates more conflict and leads to whatever the outcome of that quad is.

For me, it’s always easier to work in full PRCO quads, at every level.

3 Likes

Here are some ideas for Understanding:

The Protagonist is confused and trapped by misunderstanding. (What are these animals and relics?)
The Protagonist is at home for the first time. (I feel like I fit here with these animals and relics.)
The Protagonist now understands the warnings she ignored that put her in this position.

3 Likes

My first question is why? Why does she need to be alone? Give her a companion, even if it’s one of the animals. I recommend that you read, for inspiration, Jean Auel’s Valley of the Horses which has tons of character alone time.

My thoughts run less toward understanding but to how need/expediency lend themselves understanding the past. WHY are things the way they are what needs were or were not being met by expedience, and how is THAT effecting her current sitch. DM me if you’d like me to read your act one and give you some feedback (I am a content editor) for free.

1 Like

Isnt Charlton Hestons character in Planet of the Apes alone when he stumbles across a relic (statue of liberty) and understands that he’s been on earth all along? Even if not, I figure he could have been.

There are lots of ways that one can be alone and understand. Is she looking for other people? Maybe she finds the remains of a fire and thinks she’s close, but upon finding an old skeleton nearby understands that she really is alone.

Where are you trying to get this/these characters by the end of the story? That is, what is the purpose of the OS being in Physics? I would use the Concern and Signposts in order to advance that however possible.

Think of it like this. Dramatica says you are making an argument. The purpose of your argument is to address treating problems as Physics. Understanding, whether signpost or Concern, is the path to the purpose that you are arguing for or against. That is, you are telling the audience that when they try to Physics by Understanding, they will either get closer to or further from achieving that Purpose.

1 Like

Thanks. I’ll take you up on this once I get back home and pull my story back out of the dust. (I’ve been in the hospital for 10 days)[quote=“jassnip, post:6, topic:2805”]
DM me if you’d like me to read your act one and give you some feedback (I am a content editor) for free.
[/quote]

MC Concern: Future
MC Issue: Delay

OS Concern: Obtaining
OS Issue: Self-interest

I like this. I think I’ll use something like this. It will help transition.

3 Likes

If she’s walking by herself, a flooding river with some animals trapped, i.e., little ones with mom gone food hunting, that could motivate her to remember something while actively moving/using stuff (relics, nature pieces) so they could be saved. We had a lot of flooding coming in the back of the house a few years ago, with extra rain in the Pacific Northwest. Believe me, nothing has generated such activity before or since. Thrown into something new, scrambling around seeking to come up with some solutions, nothing beats unexpected flooding. Most readers/viewers should be hooked with remembrance with such an activity. The character could remember all sorts of events in her life while doing it, ranging from metaphorical to actual trainings by gramps as a kid, or somesuch.

2 Likes