Subjective and Objective Justifications

A few months ago I was reading an article or post on some Dramatica website (can’t remember which) about Subjective vs. Objective Justifications.

Just wondering if anyone could offer some input on how to apply them to one’s Dramatica-structured story. I’m wondering things such as what the S & O Justifications actually are, how to order them in my story, etc., with respect to the 4 throughlines.

I seem to remember reading that it has something to do with whether your character is male or female mental sex, change or steadfast, and whether the outcome is Success/Good, Failure/Bad, etc.

My story is Change/Stop/Do-er/Logical in a Decision/Optionlock/Failure/Good story, if that helps.

Rod

The concepts of object justifications and subjective justifications are parts of the description of the mechanics of how a storyform is determined, particularly the signpost orders. They are not useful for telling a story, and the mechanisms that mirror the obj. and subj. justifications are hidden within Dramatica’s (internal) story engine.

The obj. justification describes how the OS throughline is “wound up” in the model, and the subj. justification process describes how the MC throughline is “wound up” in the model to create the final storyform. If it is a Change MC story, the OS throughline is “justified” first, followed by the MC throughline. If it is a Steadfast MC story, the MC throughline is “justified” first, followed by the OS throughline.

Hey Chris, this seems really interesting. Are you saying the order of how the throughlines are weaved depends on the resolve? Could say more about this? I feel like it would be somhelpful to understand Resolve and how that impacts both backstory and storyweaving (assuming that is what you mean here).

Your response on 4th level justification was really helpful. It seems like Inequity and justification are the core concepts of Dramatica. So, whenever I see something on Justification. My ears perk up :slight_smile:

Thanks again,
Brian

1 Like

Not 'weaved" as in storyweaving, but more ‘tweaked’ based on the nature of the forces imposed by the story inequity (as informed by the storyforming choices).

There is no meaningful inequity in the Dramatica model as it is shown in the at rest position. The storyform dynamics determine if the baseline is the OS or the MC.