Dramatica Crashing When Trying to Access Story Points or StoryGuide

I’m having some sudden technical trouble with Dramatica Story Expert 5. When I attempt to access the Story Points screen or StoryGuide, the application crashes, but all the other tabs (e.g. the Story Engine or Characteristics) work without trouble. Since the program has almost never crashed before today ever since I bought it, this is bewildering for me. Does anyone know how I could remedy this problem?

Version of Dramatica: Dramatica Story Expert 5.0.6 build 52

Specifications of My Computer: macOS Sierra, Version 10.12.16, MacBook Air

Last year, the Apple Store had me restart my solid-state 15" retina macbookpro 2012 computer from the left menu, found by clicking on the black apple icon at the farthest top left corner. When you click and the menu pulls down, pick restart and click. (or pick shut down then press the start button on the keyboard, I guess) They said it was very important to restart the computer that way at least once a week. I was having software problems with Adobe products and others. I mentioned it to an art teacher who said he has never done that in years, if ever, and was shocked at such a suggestion and seemed outraged at such a need…haha.

Ah, the good old rebooting trick. Unfortunately, I’ve tried both restarting and full shutdowns on the computer and when I click on the Story Points or StoryGuide tabs, the program still quits unexpectedly. Thanks for the suggestion though. :slight_smile:

Have you deleted your preference files?

Do you mean “Dramatica Story Expert 5 Prefs” in the ~/Library/Preferences folder? If so, I haven’t. Should I delete it?

You probably want to google it first, but deleting preference files is a good way to get misbehaving programs to behave again. I think it is harmless.

Alright, I deleted it. Unfortunately, the problem remains. :disappointed: Interestingly, I also went into the Reports tab, which works fine on its own, but when I clicked on the Story Points Output Report, the program quit unexpectedly just like with the Story Points and StoryGuide tabs.

Well, I got nothing more to offer… maybe reinstall it.

Thanks for the advice anyway! :slight_smile: I’ll try reinstallation.

Update: I have a backup of the file that’s only missing a couple of illustrations from the new, corrupted file and I’ve been able to replicate said illustrations in the backup file, which runs likes a charm. Problem solved. :smiley:

1 Like