Ford v. Ferrari Dramatica Users Group

For those looking to join in tonight - we will be meeting online.

See you there!

And here is the replay of the analysis of Ford v. Ferrari - very interesting stuff to learn here!

2 Likes

Hi @jhull. It’s asking for the session’s password. Kindly provide.

Thanks.

Here you go:

6v^K@&z9

1 Like

Many thanks @jhull. :ok_hand:

Ok just saw the movie. Great, great movie!
To be honest, I also think the DUG got the wrong MC.
Here’s why:

1. The audience doesn’t experience this movie through the eyes of Caroll. The personal stuff is experienced from Miles’ perspective much more strongly.

2. Caroll for IC feels better. He’s influencing EVERYONE to do things much more than Miles.
    He influenced Miles’ decision multiple times up until his “Change”.
    He got The Deuce to “consider” Miles for the Le Mans (a protagonist quality. He might be complex but I’ll have to dig in much more).

3. In the DUG, Chris implied that the writers made a point of Caroll not having a personal life, but that was not played up at all - at least not to me. It wasn’t even made a big deal of, I think.
    I don’t remember a moment where Caroll obsessing about the work at all, if anything, it was Miles doing the work despite being shafted multiple times by the team. The reactions to this are shown to the audience through Miles. We even see his wife coming to the garage to cheer him up.

4. The show of the MC Resolve: The Resolve to change is the MC’s and that was what was shown up, not Carrols. Even though Carrol’s resolve to remain steadfast was shown as well as the movie progressed, it didn’t feel personal. There wasn’t as much weight (to me at least) from the illustrations of Carrols resolve.

It was a great DUG though. So much to learn and also test one’s knowledge of Dramatica.

Best story paradigm EVER!!

Please I look forward to any counter-thoughts or corrections. The aim is to deepen our understanding after all.

1 Like

Thank you for taking the time to respond. What are your thoughts about a second Storyform Chris mentioned (with Ken as MC)?

1 Like

Hi Jim.

I think Chris’ idea holds quite well, if we choose to look at it that way( I mean by seeing Shelby as the MC).
For me though, it further argues for Miles being the MC because there’s only one inequity as far as I know (from the theory). All the throughlines are distinct perspectives on that one inequity.

Also from my limited knowledge about subplots(non-Dramatica), they run parallel to the main/A plot, never really intersecting with it per se. Plus giving context to an IC’s “personal” life comes off as storytelling(using Armando’s technique of creating subplots from character relationships from the build characters screen). However it doesn’t seem to have a well defined argument, but then again it might as well be a tale.

The “I” POV is experienced rather strongly from Miles’ perspective.

What do you think about the movie?