PASS Scene Examples

I am trying to figure out how the concept of PASS can be realised in a scene. Can you suggest any examples of scenes from a film or a novel showing this in practice?

Passive Structural Scenes - illustrate the Events in terms of Character, Plot, Theme, and Genre
Passive Storytelling Scenes - illustrate the Events by impacting the Audience’s sense of Universe, Attitude, Activity, and way of Thinking
Active Structural Scenes - use the four Events to move the story forward through Character, Plot, Theme, and Genre
Active Storytelling Scenes - use the four Events to invoke changes in the nature of the Audience’s Universe, Attitude, Activity and Psychology

In your last one: there had been an in depth discussion about the 1999 film The Thomas Crown Affair on a previous user’s list, years ago. I had seen the original 1968 film with Steve McQueen, and I preferred the recent one for various reasons. What became fascinating was the audience [reception etc] part. To make a very long and complicated story short, another viewer and I went on and on. It blew my mind that he had never even noticed and of course saw no importance in all the plotting things I had enjoyed in the 1999 film. As he shared points, I realized he only saw and experienced the plotting of the 1968 film, which he had never seen. It proved to me the audience part!

1 Like