Thoughts on the The Dramatica Mentorship Program. Is it worth it?

So, I thought about this for a while now, joining what I think might be valuable program but I wanted to check first with previous students.

I guess I might as well ask, is it worth it, did you get out of it what you were expecting?

What was your experience going into the program and did you have much prior exposure to Dramatica before joining?

I’ve been doing the program now for a few months, and it’s definitely worth it. I’m still in the middle of it, so I haven’t gotten the full experience yet, but it has been really educational.

Jim makes you work for the knowledge, though… which honestly is the right approach. Solving things under guidance is a much better way to learn. A series of aha moments.

Prior to this, I felt very much on my own… learning the theory at Random. This feels more structured.

Yes, that’s what I was hoping to hear. A more structured approach seems to be a much better way to learn it rather than what I’ve been doing so far.

I’ll have to see if I can join around June some time then.

There’s no cost listed on the page itself nor is there a mention of a waiting list you might need to join.

I’d assume there must be a maximum capacity on the amount of students that can join during a period.

Unless of course the lessons are pre recorded with one on one mentorship happening after.

Could you comment if it’s live with self directed study?

They’re not pre-recorded, and I think a big part of it is a bi-weekly meeting with Jim to talk face to face (or VideoChat).

The way he’s been doing it with me, it’s half analysis and half working on my own material.

I had to choose a story I really cared about making, and as I’m analyzing films (separate from my story) we are also working on understanding, refining and getting the most out of the story I want to tell.

Beyond this, I believe, is certification as a Story Expert which involves dissecting a story down to all the elements involved in the entire storyform.

It’s not “self-directed,” but one definitely has to be self-motivated to keep up.
It’s a LOT of work, but so far it’s all been worth it.

2 Likes

Thanks, John. Yes, I think I’ve made up my mind, I’d like to join come June.

I’m a student at the moment though so can’t really before then. How much is the course anyway?

It’s not cheap… I would talk to Jim about pricing.

Thanks, I’ve just messaged the team over at Narrative First now to check with them.

2 Likes

I did lots of things in my early days of Dramatica use, spent a lot, and never regretted for a second any of the costs or times spent. Take advantage of any opportunities that come your way if it works in your life at the time. Things do not stay the same.

2 Likes