Change character vs steadfast character - values vs actions

I have a question re “change charcater” vs “steadfast character”.

My MC remains steadfast in his values and beliefs (that family come first at any cost). But he changes his actions (decides to help another character when he discovers the other character is his daughter).

So, by what standard should I determine if my character is a “change charcater” or “steadfast character”: his values or actions?

1 Like

Most likely his values.

Changed or Steadfast refers to the Main Character perspective, or point-of-view. How he or she sees the world.

It depends because how he sees the world could be shown by his actions…so it’s really about you as an Author - what you’re trying to say about that Main Character’s Resolve at the end.

It’s better to base it on what you want, rather than what it looks like your character is or isn’t doing.

1 Like

As a reader, I would see the MC as steadfast. In fact, that would be the whole story for me. Is that what you want?

It’s a tricky question because it frames the choice as being between values and actions. Actions can be guided by values as part of problem solving-like deciding to act because one values family-so values are more directly related to the theme of your story than actions, which I’m sure is why Jim suggested to look in that direction.

A more challenging question might have been whether to look at values or motivations. Where values might guide ones actions based on what they think is good or important, etc, motivations might be what drives those actions, or drives one to action. For instance, one might have a certain value judgment about making choices, but might need conscience to push them into action.

So values and motivations are both involved in the problem solving process and both have an affect on ones actions. They are both related to the theme of the story, then, and both should be considered over actions when deciding Resolve.

The question, then, is if your character, while maintaining this family first value, is motivated to help (or whatever the motivation is) prior to deciding to help his daughter, or if helping is daughter represents a different motivation from prior events. Was he motivated to hinder (or whatever the dynamically opposing element would be) her before this, or was he motivated to hinder others in general?

Based on the tiny bit you’ve shared here, I want to describe my reaction to what you’ve described here. Remember this is ONLY my impressions. This story is kind of a downer, whether your MC is steadfast or not. As your MC only decides to help once a biological bond is discovered/revealed and before that the woman isn’t worthy because she isn’t kin. As long as that is the message you’re trying to convey, you’re golden. If it’s not, you might want to rethink your premise a little. What is his actual dilemma?

Just food for thought.

1 Like

That was my initial reaction too. But I think it could be more complex – like the realization that the character is his daughter wakes him up to his humanity. So he now regrets, realizes that he should have helped earlier, because we’re all connected or something. (But not to put words in your mouth @Henckel :slight_smile: )

1 Like

Thanks for your input everyone.

Re Change or steadfast, I ran across this passage in the Dramatica Theory book, “Change or Steadfast character is defined by their motivation. Does Jamie remain steadfast to his motivation or change?”

Re my story being a downer, ha ha, you’re completely correct. With the limited amount of info I gave, yes it does come off as a downer. So how about this. I’ll give a touch more context and feel free to tell me where you think this story sits… because I feel I might be missing the mark slightly.

More story context… (I’ve not got the Dramatica language solid yet, so bear with me and my crude terms.)

My story, summary of context.

This is sci fi story. MC is from Earth, but woke up one day elsewhere in the galaxy. The day before he disappeared from earth, he discovered he was going to be a Daddy.

He has two core values (1) a strong sense of family and (2) a sense of belonging to home on Earth. His Goal is to get back home to earth—this will satisfy both of his core values (family and belonging). It’s easier to flip this second point and say, being in space (away from Earth) does not give him a sense of belonging.

Meanwhile, a rogue force is sweeping through the galaxy consuming planets. Planetary governments contract Antagonist to study and stop this entity. But after years of studying, Antagonist has nothing to show. His only hope is to apprehend MC. (Why, because MC is the only person in the galaxy who knows how to get the answers the Antagonist needs (I won’t bother you with how that works, but the rationale is solid.)

MC chooses to sell his information (details the entity consuming the galaxy) in exchange for a “long-shot chance” of finding Earth. However, every day that the galaxy goes without MC’s information, more planets are consumed and the people on those planets are “potentially” hurt. This is a price MC is willing to pay to get back home.

The story follows MC as he races across the galaxy to get to the informant that he will trade his information with I exchange for a “long-shot chance” of finding Earth. In the story, the Contagonist comes to MC for help. The Contagonist’s needs keep getting greater and greater to the point MC has to abandon her in her time of need (she is about to walk into a fatal trap set by the Antagonist in his efforts to catch the MC), otherwise he will miss his only chance of finding earth.

In the climax, MC is given other information: the Contagonist is his daughter. Now, MC has to choose between his core values. F he peruses earth, he’ll gain his sense of belonging, but his negligence will have hurt his family. (or) If he helps his daughter, he will miss his opportunity to ever return home to Earth, thus never have a sense of belonging. To this point, many people have been hurt or harmed due to MC’s decision to return home rather than staying and

So, of the cuff, I think my themes are:
• The needs of the one v/s the needs of the many
• Too much focus / Losing objectivity

Final point: my IC is not well developed. I’m torn between which other characters (player) to use. In fact, I’m hoping that if I can map my MC througline, then I can use the software to dictate what I need in terms of an IC.

Sorry, this has been rather long winded, but I’m open to any and all feedback. I value honesty, so don’t worry about offending me.

3 Likes

Wow, sounds like a cool story!

Of course you could go many different ways. But from a first read, it sounds to me like he’s a Change character who has been driven by one thing (getting back to Earth at all costs) but who realizes that this perspective can’t work for him anymore.

A common potential arrangement could be OS Obtaining/Self Interest/Pursuit/Avoid

It sounds like the daughter might be the IC.

But that’s just my impression! There could be lots of options.

1 Like