Fixed Attitude OS: how is the OS's changed mindset (in a success) different from the change character?

In short, I’m stuck on: which objective character(s) change their mindset in the OS, from what mindset to what mindset, and how is that different from the change character’s “subjective character” change? I keep seeing those 2 as entangled or essentially the same.

Some fixed attitude OS success stories:
Apt Pupil
Barefoot in the Park
Searching for Bobby Fischer
When Harry Met Sally
12 Angry Men
Peyton Place
The House of Yes
The Importance of Being Earnest
The Wizard of Oz
Young Frankenstein

The objective characters do not “change” although they may (and often do) adopt the OS Solution. Though it can be hard to see, this is not a change of perspective but a change of problem solving methodology.

At the OS Domain level, in Mind (Fixed Attitude) stories, you have a problematic mindset that is causing difficulties. By the end of the story that mindset-based conflict will be resolved, either by showing it’s no longer causing problems, or by showing that the efforts to resolve the problems were unsuccessful and aren’t going to be solved in this story. (The latter case might be called “left unresolved”.)

Now, how that resolution occurs is up to the story, so some OS Mind stories might show that mindset is no longer present (e.g. people stop being racist). In other cases maybe it’s still there but just no longer causing problems (e.g. people learn to consciously override their prejudices).

If “everyone desires lifelong love” is part of the mindset, and everyone gets happily married, does that mean the mindset is gone? Or still there, just not causing problems because it’s fulfilled? I don’t think it really matters.

5 Likes

In 12 Angry Men how are they the same to you?

Henry Fonda convinces Lee J Cobb to vote not guilty in the OS. There might have been more to the IC’s change, but I don’t recall it.