New films for analysis?

I see that Big is the first movie to be analyzed next year (starting in January). Has the full list of movies to be analyzed next year been developed yet?

No. That is being finalized this weekend (from suggestions listed here and elsewhere). They should be posted sometime next week.

I moved 2 posts to a new topic: Weiland’s Story Structure Database

I’d like to see Iron Giant. That clearly has choice in it.

1 Like

Iron Giant is timeless. Fortunately there’s already a story engine page for it:

http://dramatica.com/analysis/the-iron-giant

For more in-depth analysis, @jhull touches on the throughlines here:

1 Like

I don’t know how many people check the upcoming group meetings, but apparently the movies have been decided:

01.12: Big
02.09: Short Term 12
03.08: Leviathan
04.12: Inside Out (Previously: Song of the Sea)
05.01: Pitch Perfect (funnily enough: same storyform as Collateral and Finding Nemo)
06.14: Sophie’s Choice
07:12: Kramer vs Kramer
08.09: Stalag 17
09.13: Kingsman: The Secret Service
10.11: Ex Machina
11.08: Spotlight

I’m especially happy about the bolded ones. 6/11 is a pretty good ratio. I’m looking forward to this year of analyzing. Italized items are done.

Oh Good! Found it. This will have to be for next next year I guess.

1. Valentine’s Day - I would really love to see how a full ensemble story works out in Dramatica
  2. Firefly Episode – Out of Gas but part of the analysis would have to include looking at the storyweaving which is full of time jumps.

It is tempting to ask for ‘Jupiter Ascending’ because it would be very welcome to hear from someone who made any sense out of it :blush:

1 Like

Gattaca - I think it has some very solid elements of a complete storyform, although unfortunately much of it is lost in stuff that didn’t belong in there.

Game of thrones (Season 1), Cyrano de Bergerac, Forrest Gump? :wink:

Brooklyn
The Parent Trap (1998 version)
Happy Valley (BBC Drama - Season 2)
Silver Linings Playbook
Something’s Gotta Give
Howard’s End
Dolores Claiborne
The Third Man
Dr. Zhivago
All the President’s Men
Frozen River
Winter’s Bone
Three Days of the Condor

1 Like

The Third Man definitely needs to be done. I think I figured out (most) of the storyform, but that’s the one I definitely want to see done ‘officially’. I’m onboard with the others of your list, too. Particularly All the President’s Men.

1 Like

I’d like to suggest “It Follows” (2014). A very interesting and disturbing horror film written and directed by David Robert Mitchell. Currently 97% on Rotten Tomatoes.

I’d love to see an analysis of a film that contains more than one storyform (as is done with Jerry McGuire). It seems like the kind of structure that comes up quite often in novels and tv series (e.g. Game of Thrones) and it would be nice to see how that’s handled by the user group–how the number of storyforms is determined and approached, looking for completeness or incompleteness of those storyforms…etc.

2 Likes

Pretty sure Finding Nemo has two story forms.

5 posts were split to a new topic: Analysis of Gattaca

Just watched the new movie, The Witch, and was blown away by it. Wondering if any of you who have seen it feel it has a complete storyform worthy of analysis? (Might be a good one for Halloween time next year.)

I would love to see an analysis of the oldie-but-goodie A Man For All Seasons. It has one of my all-time favourite movie quotes (which I think is also in the original play):

Roper: So now you’d give the Devil benefit of law!
More: Yes. What would you do? Cut a great road through the law to get after the Devil?
Roper: I’d cut down every law in England to do that!
More: Oh? And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat? This country’s planted thick with laws from coast to coast — man’s laws, not God’s — and if you cut them down — and you’re just the man to do it — do you really think you could stand upright in the winds that would blow then? Yes, I’d give the Devil benefit of law, for my own safety’s sake.

(source: https://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Robert_Bolt )

EDIT: I just noticed @LunarDynasty nominated this one a while ago!

2 Likes

It’s not technically a film, but would anyone be interested in figuring out the storyform for ‘The Last of Us’? It is widely considered to be one of the best narratives in gaming.

1 Like

4 posts were split to a new topic: Analysis of The Last of Us